py2app builds its first .app
I started hacking on py2app again, and it's to the point where it can build applications now. What it does:
- Uses a bootstrap executable (like the PyObjC Xcode template, unlike bundlebuilder). It does not require a compiler to do this, it's precompiled with source included.
- Finds Python dependencies and stuffs them into a zip in the application bundle (some.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages.zip). This is basically "semi-standalone" in bundlebuilder terms.
What it doesn't do, yet:
- Non-zip distribution mode
- dylib dependency hunting and rewriting (bundlebuilder2 / macholib)
- Plugins (preference panes, etc.)
- Haven't tried or tested including non-code resources or full packages
- Haven't yet tried doing anything non-trivial
- No way to avoid the modulefinder step (should have a way to manually specify dependencies)
- Take a template plist or additional plist arguments